BARCELONA, Spain–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Earth Networks, the owner of WeatherBug® products and services and operator of the largest weather observing and lightning network, today announced the availability of its WeatherBug Mobile App for Android™ 3.0 Honeycomb from Google™ through Android Market™. This new application is debuting February 14-17 at the 2011 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, at the Google Exhibit in Hall 4.3, Stand 8C25, and will be displayed on the new flagship device, the Motorola XOOM™ Tablet from Verizon.
“We are excited to introduce a new way for users to interact with the weather on the new Android 3.0 Honeycomb from Google”
“We are excited to introduce a new way for users to interact with the weather on the new Android 3.0 Honeycomb from Google,” said Chris Brozenick, Vice President of Consumer Products, WeatherBug. “Users will experience enhanced features and advancements unprecedented to any other platform, including a redesigned interface with a heightened level of graphics; the latest in geolocational intelligence delivering live local weather information; and high-definition video and image displays that fully utilize its new capabilities.”
Designed specifically for Android 3.0 Honeycomb, the WeatherBug Mobile App includes a variety of new features:
- At-A-Glance Information: The new widget panel design enables users to immediately access their preferred weather information and views.
- Location-Enabled Intelligence: The “Find Me” option automatically adjusts the location and default maps based on the user’s current location for quick and seamless access to local conditions and alerts.
- Detailed Visualization: A large map area provides several contoured weather overlay options – including satellite, radar, humidity, pressure, wind speed, and forecast highs and lows – to display current conditions and approaching systems.
- High Resolution Video: Users can watch HD-quality national outlook videos, including the daily national forecast, from WeatherBug.
- Camera Images: Users can swipe through an extensive image carousel to view live and time-lapse shots from HD cameras in the exclusive WeatherBug Network.
- In-Device Barometer: The new app measures atmospheric pressure, which can be used to forecast short-term changes in the weather. Information is reported on the user’s device and can be sent to WeatherBug to create more detailed forecasts.
WeatherBug Mobile for Android 3.0 Honeycomb is available through Android Market for free at http://www.android.com. More information on WeatherBug apps can be found at http://weather.weatherbug.com/mobile.
WeatherBug mobile apps access information from the WeatherBug Network, the largest proprietary network of professional weather stations in North America, and include information from over 35,000 locations worldwide. The weather information is monitored and distributed in real-time through the network and into the apps within seconds. The WeatherBug Mobile App for Android 3.0 Honeycomb from Google enables users to customize the weather intelligence captured through the network for their own display of local and global information.
About Earth Networks
Founded in 1993 as AWS Convergence Technologies, Earth Networks operates the largest weather observation and lightning networks in the world and is establishing a global environmental data network on an unprecedented scale. Earth Networks owns and operates the WeatherBug brand, which precisely monitors, organizes and distributes global weather information. The WeatherBug consumer brand (http://www.weatherbug.com) reaches millions as a trusted source for live, local weather information, while the WeatherBug professional brand (http://www.weatherbugprofessional.com) serves a variety of markets that include federal, state and local governments, education, agriculture, energy and utilities, sports and recreation, media and transportation. Each day, consumers and organizations, including the National Weather Service, turn to WeatherBug to plan daily activities, safeguard lives and improve business operations. Earth Networks is based in Germantown, Maryland and is online at www.earthnetworks.com.
Editor Note: Android and Android Market are trademarks of Google, Inc. All other copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6608709&lang=en