RIDGELAND, Miss.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Cellular South, the nation’s largest privately held wireless communications provider, announced the release today of the HTC Desire™, one of the most advanced Android™-powered touchscreen smartphones in the world.
“We’re excited about adding the HTC Desire to our expanding line-up of Android-powered advanced touchscreen smartphones”
The HTC Desire is one of five new Android-based smartphones the carrier is releasing in 2010 as part of its promise to offer consumers and business customers the industry’s best Android experience. Cellular South was one of the first U.S. carriers to introduce an Android™-powered smartphone with the launch of the HTC Hero™ last November.
Featuring a superfast, 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor that encourages easy and seamless multi-tasking, the Android™ 2.1 platform and access to more than 80,000 applications on Android Market™, the Desire also includes the latest HTC Sense™ experience and a 3.7 inch super LCD screen.
The device features built-in Google mobile services, including Google Search™, Google Maps™, Gmail™, YouTube™ and Google Maps Navigation™ BETA with voice-aided, turn-by-turn directions.
“We’re excited about adding the HTC Desire to our expanding line-up of Android-powered advanced touchscreen smartphones,” said Kevin Hankins, chief operating officer of Cellular South. “This device takes Android to a whole new level with HTC Sense and a platform that optimizes the rich media experience for news, the mobile web, music and video applications.”
Following on the heels of Cellular South’s record-breaking introduction of the HTC Hero™, its first Android-powered touchscreen smartphone, and the recent release of the Motorola Milestone, the company is poised to become one of the leading providers of Android-powered smartphone devices to consumers and businesses with the addition of the HTC Desire™. Cellular South is only the second U.S.-based wireless carrier to offer the advanced touchscreen smartphone.
Later this year, the Ridgeland-based wireless communications provider plans to introduce three more Android-powered touchscreen smartphones, including a leading handset from the Samsung Galaxy S family of advanced wireless devices.
Coupled with access to thousands of Android Market apps and some of the best Android devices and service plans, Cellular South is ready to offer consumers the best app experience in the industry, Hankins said. “We make it easy and simple for consumers to discover the right apps that best meet their personal needs and desires. No other wireless carrier today is following through on that commitment like Cellular South.”
The HTC Desire™ is preloaded with several apps, including two Cellular South Original apps – Text CS and Discover Apps. Both of these apps help consumers get quick, easy and convenient answers to questions about their mobile phone, account and the most relevant apps for their device. A third app – Barcode Scanner – enables users to quickly scan a barcode into their Android-powered smartphone and have Google search for that particular item to find reviews, competitive prices and more. The app also can read QR – or Quick Response – data-matrix codes which can link users to a website, a discount coupon, contact information, calendar appointment or text message.
- Slim, stylish design
- Fast 1 GHz snapdragon processor
- 3.7 inch 480 x 800 super TFT screen display with capacitive touch response
- 5 megapixel digital camera with autofocus and LED flash
- 720p HD video recording
- MP3 music player
- Powered by Android 2.1™ mobile operating system
- 8 GB micro SD memory card included (expandable to 32 GB) for storage of your favorite music, pictures and video
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g capability
- GPS turn-by-turn navigation and voice guidance featuring Google Maps Navigation Beta
- Pinch to zoom with capacitive touchscreen and haptic capability
- HTC Sense™ with 7-panel home page and widget support
- E-mail, Facebook, SMS and more organized by person – not technology
- Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP and 3.5 mm headset jack – streams audio in stereo to headphones
- Digital compass, G-Sensor, Proximity sensor, light sensor
- Integrated GPS
- 512 MB ROM memory
- Dedicated home, menu, back and context-sensitive search keys
- Google™ Voice Search
- Optical joystick
Pricing and Availability
- Beginning today, the HTC Desire is available for sale online at www.cellularsouth.com and in Cellular South retail stores for $149.99 after a $50 mail-in reward card and with a two-year service agreement.
- To make owning the Desire an even better experience, Cellular South has the industry’s best value for smartphones with its Smartphone Unlimited plan – the only one of its kind in the nation – that makes the enriched user experience more accessible to individuals, families and businesses. For only $59.99 a month per line for two lines, customers can talk, text, access the Web, and e-mail on the smartest network for smartphones without worrying about counting minutes, megabtyes or surprise bills.
- With better coverage, fewer dropped calls and more 3G high-speed data services, Cellular South is the smartest place to get Android smartphones along with simple and easy guides to relevant apps and offers the best mobile broadband experience for the HTC Desire.
Android, Google, Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, YouTube and Android are trademarks of Google, Inc. HTC Desire is a trademark of HTC Corporation.
About Cellular South
Cellular South is a diversified mobile communications company passionately committed to helping customers get the most out of their wireless devices and services. The nation’s largest privately owned wireless communications carrier accomplishes this goal by providing the most reliable and advanced 3G nationwide wireless voice and data network, offering industry-leading smartphone devices, accessible flat rate plans along with original mobile apps, and through its online and in-store Discover Centers, which give customers easy, simple and convenient tools, tips, advice and information to get the most out of their mobile phone. For more information about Cellular South and its products and services, as well as its ground-breaking Cellular South Original user generated programming, visit www.cellularsouth.com. This news release and other announcements are available at http://www.cellularsouth.com/news/.