VANCOUVER, British Columbia–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Today, Mobidia Technology, Inc., an innovative provider of mobile data solutions for increasing efficiency and manageability of wireless data networks, announced the availability of My Data Manager, a new Android application, that helps mobile subscribers monitor and manage their mobile data use. The application is also available to mobile operators and handset and tablet OEM’s as a component of a fully customizable, brand-able, and extendable carrier-grade data management and analytics solution. And it will be available on other platforms, including IOS and Blackberry, in the future.
“Subscriber-centric policy control is critical for the future of mobile data”
Many smartphone users are baffled by mobile data plans. Pricing can be confusing; monitoring usage can be difficult; understanding how specific applications consume data is often impossible; and the tools available to help are very limited. This leads to frustration with mobile data subscribers and costly support calls for mobile operators. It can often lead to “bill shock” where consumers are faced a much bigger bill than expected at the end of the month. This is particularly true for those that travel frequently and rely on their smartphone for connecting to the internet.
“I often travel out of the country and it has been very hard for me to understand how my smartphone use impacts my bill at the end of each month.” says Mobidia Vice President of Marketing, Chris Hill. “Is it e-mail, Google Maps, Facebook or something else that is consuming all those megabytes on my roaming plan? Now with My Data Manager, I know exactly how I am using my data and can set up an alert when I am close to exceeding my limits to avoid extra charges.”
To help make mobile data use more transparent, Mobidia has released a version of their My Data Manager application on the Android Marketplace. Android users can download the application here. iPhone, Blackberry, and other smartphone users can sign up for Mobidia’s beta program and will be notified when additional platforms become available. Sign up here.
Mobidia is offering My Data Manager directly to smartphone users as a powerful tool to help them save money and better utilize their data plans. A complete, carrier-grade service is also available to extend the application for mobile operators and OEM’s. The white-label service can fully integrate into operator’s existing infrastructure or on existing smartphones and tablets to help decrease costs and generate incremental revenue in the following ways:
1. Decrease Customer Support by Enabling Per-Application Monitoring. Subscribers can accurately track their data usage on a per application basis, knowing exactly what application consumes how much data on a current and historical basis home, roaming, pre- and post-paid plans. Understanding their usage will help them choose the appropriate plan.
2. Increase Customer Satisfaction by Giving the Ability to Better Control Mobile Data. Mobidia’s solution provides all the thresholds and alarming functionality to address “bill shock,” Using Mobidia’s “Smartcontrols,” subscribers can also automatically control which applications run, limiting application usage when costs are high or data plans are low.
3. Generate Incremental Revenue with More Effective Promotion of Data Offers. Buying data is getting more confusing to most subscribers, as unlimited data plans are replaced by limited and variable plans. Selling these plans will require context and subscriber involvement. Mobidia’s solution provides an on-device platform for operators to promote and sell incremental plan offers such as roaming offers.
4. Realize More Value from PCRF Integration. Mobidia’s solution was designed to integrate with and extend the value of a 3GPP, PCRF policy control engine – a box often deployed in an operator’s network. With integration, policy can be enforced on upstream and downstream data more efficiently and effectively. Support for roaming and encrypted data is also provided.
5. Increase the Value of a Smartphone or Tablets. All of the functionality described above is available to OEM’s to make their devices more attractive to operators. It can also be deployed independently of operators to provide more utility and value directly to consumers.
“Subscriber-centric policy control is critical for the future of mobile data,” says Mobidia CEO, Derek Spratt. “Subscribers are confused today and it is in the carrier’s best interest to help them better understand what they are buying and how they’re using mobile data. An informed subscriber will be a happier, more profitable customer.”
About Mobidia Technology, Inc.
Mobidia develops software and solutions for enhancing mobile data networks. At the core of Mobidia’s technology is a client-centric architecture that introduces network-edge intelligence to make mobile data networks more efficient, more profitable, and more usable. By leveraging the collective, distributed computing power of tens of millions of connected laptops and smartphones, Mobidia can increase network efficiency and enhance experiences for subscribers. In addition to offering a transport optimization solution, the My Data Manager consumer application, and subscriber-centric policy technology for monitoring and managing mobile data, Mobidia provides a wide range of development services for developing and licensing custom mobile solutions. Mobidia is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with local U.S. and European presence. For more information, visit www.mobidia.com or call 604-304-8640. Mobidia is a service mark of Mobidia Technology, Inc.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6758992&lang=en